Working with devices
There are four permissions to control and manage devices on the platform:
- Manage Device IDs;
- Delete Device IDs;
- Manage devices;
- Control devices.
Device IDs management
The "Device ID" entity is managed in the "Devices management" section of the admin panel. Only administrators with "Manage Device IDs" and/or "Delete Device IDs" permissions have access to this section.
Only a Super Admin can add Device IDs.
Adding a "Device ID" to the platform is possible at any time; however, until this action is completed, work with the device will not be possible. In addition, the "Device ID" must be specified in the firmware code of a specific device for its correct connection to the platform and pairing to the end user's mobile application. Therefore, the following algorithm for working with this entity is recommended:
- Before manufacturing a device, Super Admin creates a "Device ID". For a batch of devices, an appropriate number of IDs must be created - the unique name of the batch and the number of devices it consists of are specified when creating a new ID.
- To create Device IDs, Super Admin needs to click the "Create IDs" button in the "Devices management" section and fill in the required fields in the modal window that appears (see details in the description of the section "Devices management").
- The Device ID consists of four groups of four characters (lowercase Latin letters and numbers) separated by hyphens: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
- Based on the "Device ID", the system automatically generates a QR code.
- Super Admin downloads a batch of QR codes and a .csv file with Device IDs and other information for the entire batch of devices and sends them to the device manufacturer. The manufacturer flashes each instance with firmware that contains its unique Device ID in the code. The ID is also placed on the device case and/or in the accompanying documentation in text form or as a QR code.
- The end user specifies the Device ID or scans the QR code when pairing the device to the mobile app.
- The system checks the compatibility of the device, User, Company, and other parameters.
- Once verification and pairing are successfully completed, the end user will be able to use the device.
Based on this algorithm, each device in the system has one of the following statuses:
- “New” - Device ID is generated (in a single copy or as part of a batch).
- "Manufacturing" - Device ID is sent to the factory; the device is in the process of production and not ready to use. The User cannot pair the device while it has the "Manufacturing" status.
- "Manufactured" - the device production is finished; it is flashed with firmware with Device ID in the code and is ready for pairing by the end user. The status switches from "Manufacturing" to "Manufactured" automatically if the device manufacturer uses the platform API. Also, an administrator with "Manage Device IDs" permission can switch this status manually.
- "Free" - the device with this Device ID is ready for transfer to the end user or has already been transferred to them and is waiting for pairing.
- "Pairing" - the User is pairing the device. The system checks the compatibility of the User, device, Company, and other parameters. If the device is successfully paired, the "Pairing" status changes to "Connected".
- "Paired" - the User has paired the device.
- "Deleted" - the end-User or an administrator with the appropriate permissions has removed the previously paired device from User's mobile app. Even after deleting a device, its Device ID will be visible in the "Devices management" section of the platform, and an administrator with the appropriate permission will be able to change its status. Please note that an administrator may have the "Delete Device IDs" permission, which allows them to completely delete an ID with any device status except Pairing and Paired. This is the other action in which the identifier cannot have any status because it is no longer available. The Device ID deleted by an administrator is on the Deleted tab of the "Devices management" page, so an administrator with the appropriate permissions can recover it and make it active.
- "Rejected" - the Device ID was reset by an administrator with the appropriate permission. Rejecting the identifier is possible with any status except "Connected". After changing the Device ID to the "Rejected" status, the administrator can assign one of the following statuses to it: "New", "Manufacturing", "Manufactured", or "Free".
Devices connected to the platform are displayed in the "Devices management" section. Access to this admin panel section is available to Users with the "Manage devices" permission.
In the "Devices management" section, the administrator can see information about each device and access its telemetry.
Description of practical interaction with device management on the platform in the section: "Device management page".